A few days ago, I submitted my final manuscript to my publisher and she sent me back a timeline of the publishing schedule. It has been a long, hard road full of sweat and lots of tears, but I have now finished a novel that I started two years ago, The Beta Mum, Adventures in Alpha-Land. It hasn’t been easy, but this summer, I will finally be able to hold the paperback copy of my book in my hands.
10 Things You Need to Know About My Book:
- It is fiction. No, I am not the main character. And the evil, mean mum does not exist. This is purely a product of my imagination. Of course, experiences and stories overheard may have influenced my book, but it is a work of fiction. Everything else is coincidence.
- It is about fulfilling a dream. I’ve always wanted to write a book and for those who know that feeling, it remains a dream until you sit on that chair and write those 70,000+ words. It may not become a bestseller, but it is finished and it has a beginning, a middle and an end, and it makes sense. To me, that is a great achievement.
- It is a silent achievement. As a writer, no one is around when you get to the finish line. No one cheers you on or tells you how great you are. It is purely a personal achievement that I always hoped I would fulfil and I am so proud to have finished it.
- It is so bloody hard to write a novel. I can’t tell you the times I’ve wanted to give up, when I wanted to throw it all away and never look at it again, and the times I wanted to quit. The plot holes, the unrelatable characters, the writing, the negative criticism etc… Even my pen name, Isabella Davidson, took hours of discussion and debate in my head. With writing, it is 99% about perseverance and determination. All writers will tell you, it’s about sitting on that chair and starting to write.
- It is not perfect. And the moral of the story is that none of us are perfect and that we should try to be understanding and tolerant and kind to each other. Ultimately, it is about kindness, although you may not see it that way when you read the book!! This is my first novel and I have learned so much through this process. I wish I knew all of what I know now before I started.
- It is not Dickens, Dostoevsky, or Dumas. It is a light, summer read which is more like a gossip-session with a friend than a life-altering book. So this summer, put it on your ‘Summer Read’ list! It is not meant to be taken seriously but does deal with issues of modern motherhood.
- They say to write about what you know. So, I’ve written about what I know best right now: the struggles of motherhood in London. It is about loneliness, relationships, losing your identity after becoming a mother, competitive mothering, trying to be the perfect mother, and trying to find the balance between being a parent and being an individual.
- All West London mums are not horrible. Although, reading this book you may be led to believe so. Most London mums are absolutely lovely and wonderful (I am one and most of my friends are!), but no one wants to read a book about mothers all being lovely and nice to each other! There would be no story to tell and that would just be very boring and no one would read it. So, I’ve piled on the bitchiness and horridness on a few of my characters (And we’ve all come across one or two ‘Mean-Mums’ or super-competitive mums…) Hopefully my next book will be more positive!
- I have mixed emotions about it. I am full of excitement but am also full of self-doubt (Will anyone buy it? Will anyone read it? Will they hate it? Will they hate me?)
- Please be kind. An author’s ego is so fragile and vulnerable, so please tread gently.
It won’t be ready until this summer, but I will post the book blurb soon so you get a better idea of the book. I hope you read it and laugh with it! A few quotes from my readers so far:
‘Thanks for a cracking read!’
‘I didn’t want to stop reading!’
‘I really enjoyed it and it did make me laugh. Great characters and setting.’
13 thoughts on “My Book Is Coming Out This Summer!”
As a West London mom I will buy it X
Thanks so much for your support! I hope it makes you laugh… It hopefully should 🙂 and you will get the West London references that I make 😉 😅😅
Well done! Congratulations – will put on my summer reading list 🙂
Thanks!! I appreciate all your support!! Xx
Good luck !
Sent from my iPad
Thanks! It’s been quite a long and arduous process but it’s hopefully all coming together! Thanks for the support….xx
Congratulations !! Will be buying it. Love the title… Kate Kate Gordon Director London Art Studies
Phone: + 44 (0)20 7 259 5634 http://www.londonartstudies.com
Twitter: @lndnartstudies Instagram: @londonartstudies Facebook: London Art Studies
NOTICE: The information in this email is confidential and is intended for use by the addressee(s) only. If you are not the intended recipient of this email, please notify the sender immediately by email and delete or destroy all digital and hard copies of this email and its attachments. If you are not the intended recipient of this email, you may not disseminate or copy this email and in no circumstances may you rely on the information contained within it.
The recipient should scan this email and its attachments or viruses. London Art Studies Limited does not accept responsibility for any damage caused by any virus transmitted by this email.
London Art Studies uses your personal data in accordance with our Privacy Notice which we recommend you read on our website at http://www.londonartstudies.com
London Art Studies is a company limited by shares registered in England and Wales under company registration number 07853038 with its registered office c/o Mackenzie Field, Hyde House, the Hyde, Edgware Road, London NW9 6LA.
From: Notting Hill Yummy Mummy <firstname.lastname@example.org> Reply-To: Notting Hill Yummy Mummy <email@example.com> Date: Friday, 20 January 2017 11:16 To: Kate Gordon <firstname.lastname@example.org> Subject: [New post] My Book Is Coming Out This Summer!
nottinghillyummymummy posted: ” A few days ago, I submitted my final manuscript to my publisher and she sent me back a timeline of the publishing schedule. It has been a long, hard road full of sweat and lots of tears, but I have now finished a novel that I started two years ago, The “
Thanks so much! Glad you like the title! It also took hours of deliberation and changing and returning to original…. thank you for your support!! Xx
Well done! Huge achievement! Xx
Thank you!!! All very exciting and scary in equal measures! Wish me luck 😘 xx
Very catchy title and lovely pseudonym. As a Notting Hill resident I will definitely buy your book. Been following your blog for at least a couple of years now. And I want your autograph, if possible. Wish you all the best.
Thanks so much for your comment! That is so sweet of you. And yes I can definitely autograph the book! I will send you an invite to the launch party!! Xx
Thank you. Can’t wait. 🙂